Current:Home > MyRFK Jr. backs out of his own birthday fundraiser gala after Martin Sheen, Mike Tyson said they're not attending -Wealth Evolution Experts
RFK Jr. backs out of his own birthday fundraiser gala after Martin Sheen, Mike Tyson said they're not attending
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-07 05:41:03
Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is backing out of his own birthday fundraiser gala after celebrity guests Martin Sheen, Dionne Warwick, Mike Tyson and Andrea Bocelli, who were reported to be attending, instead stated that they would skip it.
The gala is hosted by the super PAC American Values 2024, which backs Kennedy's presidential candidacy, and another PAC.
- Who's running for president in 2024? Meet the candidates
Kennedy press secretary Stefanie Spear confirmed to CBS News that the independent candidate will not be attending the birthday event. This was first reported by U.S. News & World Report.
In late December, American Values 2024 shared on X, formerly known as Twitter, a Daily Mail story reporting the fundraiser event to celebrate Kennedy's 70th birthday and listed the four celebrities as guests.
Warwick was the first to respond on X, denying she was going and calling the PAC's announcement "absolutely ridiculous."
Soon afterward, Martin Sheen, who played the president on the TV series "The West Wing," took to Instagram.
"I do not endorse RFK Jr. nor will I be attending his party," Sheen said. He added that he's "whole heartedly supporting Joe Biden and the Democratic ticket in 2024."
Since Sheen doesn't have an X account, Bradley Whitford, who played the White House deputy chief of staff on the TV show, tweeted on Sheen's behalf.
"There's a story going around saying that Martin Sheen is supporting @RobertFKennedyJr for president. The story is incorrect," Whitford said on X.
The Kennedy campaign previously told CBS News it didn't have "anything to do with organizing this event."
A representative for Andrea Bocelli told Rolling Stone that the Italian tenor is not singing at the gala. Page Six reported that a representative of the former boxer said Mike Tyson was the only star who admitted he had been invited — but he, too, declined the invitation.
- In:
- Mike Tyson
- RFK Jr.
- Dionne Warwick
Cristina Corujo is a digital journalist covering politics at CBS News. Cristina previously worked at ABC News Digital producing video content and writing stories for its website. Her work can also be found in the Washington Post, NBC and NY1.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- As Philippines sailor hurt in South China Sea incident, U.S. cites risk of much more violent confrontation
- Baseball world reacts to the death of MLB Hall of Famer and Giants' legend Willie Mays
- Kourtney Kardashian Shares Baby Rocky’s Rare Lung Issue That Led to Fetal Surgery
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Dollar Tree failed to pull lead-contaminated applesauce for months, FDA says
- Block of ice thought to come from plane slams into New Jersey family home
- Missing Florida family were burned in backyard fire pit, police believe, suspect arrested
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- U.S. halts avocado and mango inspections in a Mexican state after 2 USDA employees attacked, detained
Ranking
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Jury deliberates in state case against man who attacked Nancy Pelosi’s husband with hammer
- Who is part of the 'Wyatt Sicks'? These WWE stars appeared with Uncle Howdy on Raw
- Authorities seeking Alabama man wanted in connection with multiple homicides
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Justin Timberlake's Attorney Speaks Out on DWI Arrest
- Stellantis recalls nearly 1.2 million cars over rear camera software glitch
- Missing hiker's brother urges increased U.S. involvement in search efforts: I just want to find my brother
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Man, 72, killed and woman hurt in knife attack at Nebraska highway rest area
Thailand's senate passes landmark marriage equality bill
Mysterious monolith appears in Nevada desert, police say
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
Pistons part ways with head coach Monty Williams after one season
California governor wants to restrict smartphone usage in schools
Alaska did not provide accessible voting for those with disabilities, US Justice Department alleges